Watch the ABC’s Behind the News video about the Stolen Generations.
After viewing the video, discuss the following questions or write your answers in a book.
- What was the main point of this story?
- Why do you think the Aboriginal children taken from their families are known as the Stolen Generations?
- It was government policy that Indigenous children be removed. Why do you think they thought this was necessary?
- ‘They thought they were doing the right thing.’ How has social policy changed?
- What is assimilation?
- Imagine being taken away from your family. How does it make you feel?
After unpacking the video, watch one of the below videos and write a letter to one of the survivors.
- Use the yarning circle inspired space you have created in your home to allow your child to share their work.