Read or watch the selected book, My Country by Ezekiel Kwaymullina and Sally Morgan, stopping to explain or answer questions if necessary,
Once you have finished the book, discuss any key points.
- What did you like about the story?
- What did you learn from the story?
- Are there any words in the story that are new to you?
- Use one word to describe how the book made you feel.
- How does the author use illustration to help us feel something in the story?
- Record ideas on butchers’ paper. (This activity can also be used to activate prior knowledge about Aboriginal history and allow families and teachers to gauge any misinformation students may have.)
- This guided reading activity can be repeated with different books to expose students to a variety of stories.
- Use the yarning circle inspired space you have created in your home to share their writing and thinking and encourage your child elaborate their answers.