Introduce the activity: Today we are going to study some art that represents the healing journey of lots of Aboriginal people who are members of the Stolen Generations.
Look at the artwork. Take time to look at and talk about what you can see in the artworks. Some questions that could prompt discussion are:
- What do you like about painting?
- What do you feel when you look at the painting? What makes you feel that?
- Talk about the history of the artwork.
This artwork was made by an artist called Riki Salam. To create this artwork he listened to the stories of lots of members of the Stolen Generations and used their stories to think about how the artwork would look…
- Have students respond to the artwork using the ‘I see…I think…I feel…’ worksheet . If they are capable they can write one or two words to respond to each section or you can scribe for them.
- Use the yarning circle inspired space you have created in your home to share their responses.